Meet the Team
Made in New York, NY
Position: Co-founder and CEO
Former financial analyst, David is in charge of money, legal, general organization and, perhaps most importantly, keeping the rest of us on our toes. He sets the pace of MadeClose, making sure our hard work is always headed in the right direction. He’s our EP, our AP…basically the entire production team. When he does have free time, he is partial to the golf course. We recommend he keep his day job.
- One of the proudest New Yorkers you’ll ever meet
- Has an uncanny memory for song lyrics, particularly rap
- Desperately wants to shoot an under-par round of golf
Quote: "I now believe that you can give back and do the right thing while being mindful of your bottom line. It is a business model that works."
Made in New York, NY
Position: Co-founder and CPO
Zach is the creative director behind our big dream. He formulates the product from idea generation to the completed vision you see on the site. He's the one tossing around concepts for product development, user experience and user acquisition, and then bringing them to your fingertips. The little free time Zach can find is devoted to radio silence and fishing – lots of fishing.
- Happiest when in the middle of a good conversation
- Not a fan of crowds
- Can't survive without his twice-daily soak in the tub
- In a committed, long-term relationship with sea salt flakes
Quote: "I don't see why not."
Made in New York, NY
Position: Co-founder and COO
Peter, our Master of Ceremonies, spends his days chatting with merchants about their brands, products and stories. When he’s not cracking jokes, he’s ensuring that each maker’s voice is heard and generally making things happen.
- Likes to build things and watch them evolve from start to finish
- Has a tendency to sell his possessions in order to fund his annual surfing trips
- Plays music and writes prose in his free time
- Quick witted but slow on the typewriter
Quote: "My favorite thing about MadeClose is the community we're building, conversation by conversation, one merchant at a time."
Made in Lakenheath, UK
Position: Co-founder and CTO
The resident tech guru, Ben’s primary function is to estimate how long it takes to build a world-class online marketplace…and then build it. A man of simple pleasures, his days generally take the following course: wake up, surf the sunrise, settle into a day of code slinging sprinkled with conference calls and frenetic pacing, surf the sunset.
- Suffers from a borderline masochistic love of spicy foods
- Enjoys locally-sourced heavy metal
- Prefers cats to dogs
- The inspiration behind the phrase "under promise, over deliver"
Quote: "How long will that build take? About three days."
Made in Houston, TX
Position: Content Director
As the resident scriptwriter, Kendall spends her days hunched over her laptop, or Peter’s typewriter when the opportunity arises. Kendall enjoys long walks in the park or along the Westside Highway. She feels that nature and a quick pace are the perfect ingredients for inspiration.
- Likes TED. A lot. Perhaps too much.
- Couldn’t survive in a world without froyo or air conditioning
- When not writing, she’s cooking or studying neuroplasticity
Quote: "I like to know that there are living, breathing people behind my products. Connecting with a brand is all about knowledge, intimacy and trust."
Made in Kaunas, LU
Position: Front-end Developer
Equal parts set designer and builder, Justin develops what you see on MadeClose. As a tot, he started with Legos and gradually moved on to pixels. Although he’s the youngest person on the MadeClose team, he has operated his own business since he was 18 years old.
- Technically only six years old (he’s a leap year baby)
- Requires music for optimal performance
- On his bucket list to make it to bed before midnight at least one evening
Quote: "My goal is to ensure that the design of our marketplace matches the creativity and artistry of the products we feature."
Made in Ames, IA
Position: Chief Creative Officer
John oversees the creative side of MadeClose developing visual elements, directing our marketing efforts and coaching merchants on branding. He makes sure a spirit of originality and craftsmanship, inspired by our independent brands, is well presented on MadeClose.
- Designed and built his first website at age 13, days before Google first launched
- Often skips lunch to follow European football
- Wishes he was born in the 1880s
Quote: "Digitize things all you want, but it is humans that ultimately make things beautiful."
Made in Albany, NY
Position: Software Engineer
Good software needs strong support. Shawn helps design and implement our systems. At the age of five, he visited a video arcade for the first time. He tries to weave that sense of awe and limitless imagination into every product he helps create.
- Operates best when under the influence of caffeine
- Can’t imagine life without a rock & roll soundtrack
- Spends his nights dreaming about what’s in store for the future of technology
Quote: "Some chefs say you can taste the love someone puts into their food. I think users experience a similar sensation when a team that cares builds software."